*FAWCO Biennial Conference – March 18-21. The Biennial Conference is for FAWCO Clubs all around the world to come together. This year, the conference was virtual on the HopIn Platform with a strong delegation of AWC Berlin members in attendance. For the first time ever, AWC Berlin is a full sponsor of an Education Award! The Club is sponsoring, in memory of AWC member Rhonda Staudt, the Women in Sciences, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics and Medicine Education Award (in the past 2 years, AWC Berlin has had two members receive Education Awards: Kristin Bayer (2020) and Maya Guice (2019)). And Ascend Athletics, AWC Berlin’s nominee, was selected by FAWCO member clubs to receive a FAWCO Foundation development grant.
*FAWCO Youth. FAWCO has launched a new program specially for young adults (ages 15-25) — the Global Issues FAWCO Youth Group. The group meets monthly to learn about and discuss global issues. Sessions will continue through the Spring/Summer of 2021. Planned topics include the FAWCO Target Project, Diversity and Inclusion, Education and Health. To learn more, please contact Mary Dobrian, VP of Global Issues for FAWCO, at email@example.com.
Ten AWC Berlin members attended the 65th session of CSW (CSW65), which takes place March 15–26, 2021. CSW, the largest global gathering of women’s rights activists, usually happens at UN Headquarters in New York; however, CSW65 will be all virtual. There was a virtual NGO CSW Forum, organized by and for the NGO CSW community around the world. CSW is instrumental in promoting women’s rights, documenting the reality of women’s lives throughout the world, and shaping global standards on gender equality and the empowerment of women. The priority theme of CSW65 is: Women’s full and effective participation and decision-making in public life, as well as the elimination of violence, for achieving gender equality and the empowerment of all women and girls.
*Inspiring Women FAWCO online magazine – AWC Berlin is Represented! Inspiring Women is FAWCO’s quarterly magazine. The last four issues have featured members from our very own AWC Berlin! Congratulations to our members for your fabulous features!
- The current issue “FAWCO’s 90th Anniversary” features cover art by AWC member Karen Axelrad, an article on “FAWCO Communications through the Ages” by My-Linh Kunst and Angelika McLarren, and Melanie Baur is featured by “FAWCO’s up & coming”.
- The Fall issue“Women in Tech” features our member Carolyn Stransky on page 42-43.
- The Winter issue of Inspiring Women about women on stage. AWC Berlin and three of our members, Veronica Isola (on the cover), Yolette Wunder and Molly Moylan Brown are featured.
- The Fall Issue of Inspiring Women – “Visualizing A Point Of View” – focuses on women & photography. This issue has features on TWO of our members! In “The World Through Their Lens,” My-Linh Kunst profiles female photographers she admires. In “I Am a Phoneographer,” Karen Axelrad talks about taking her beautiful photos with her iPhone and her favorite apps. Fall Issue here.
- The Summer Issue of Inspiring Women – “FAWCO Women: Isolating Apart Learning Together” – focused on COVID-19. In the feature titled “‘Quaranteaching’ in Germany,” AWC Berlin Member Katja Malinowski talks about teaching during the pandemic at an international school here in Berlin. Summer Issue here.
*Did you know you can sign up to receive Inspiring Women directly to your email inbox? If you are interested in receiving this publication, or any FAWCO publications, sign up!
* The FAWCO Target Program
Join other FAWCO women in supporting S.A.F.E. (Safe Alternatives for Female Genital Mutilation Elimination), is a project of Hope for Girls and Women Tanzania that advocates to end FGM for women and girls in the Mara region of Tanzania. By highlighting this global health issue the 2020-2022 Target Project will provide programs and services that will benefit at risk girls and survivors of FGM as well as community outreach and education.
The Target Program team spearheads the development of advocates (me and you, if you choose) at the Club level to help members learn more about the topic of FGM as both a health and a human rights issue that affects women and girls today in 2020, on 6 continents. Advocates partner with the philanthropy arm of the Club to raise funds for the organization called Hope for Girls and Women Tanzania.
Find the latest information on the partnership that we have formed with our friends in Tanzania for the FAWCO Target Project 2020-2022 at https://www.fawco.org/global-issues/target-program/health/target-project-2020-2022.
* Check out how AWC Berlin members support the Sustainable Development Goals.
Your FAWCO Representative is Frances Durocher: